What is the CFE Kit?
The CANBus Function Extender Kit (CFE) allows you to enhance the functionality and driving pleasure of your "older" model Volvo by activating additional functions currently available on the newer Volvo models!
How Does it Work?
Your Volvo communicates with a lot of electronic units located throughout the car using a digital network, called the CANBus network (for example, the window switches instruct the window motors to open/close through the CANBus network, etc.) Using the CFE Kit, you'll get a CFE unit (Hardware) and connection cable (Cable) that will connect the CFE unit to your Volvo's CANBus network, so that you can modify functions built into the CANBus network. Best of all, the CFE Kit is 100% plug and play, requiring NO hardware splicing or other modifications!
To select the CANBus network functions you'd like to activate in your Volvo, you must first download and install software on your PC (see the Troubleshooting & Support section below) and connect the CFE unit to your PC using the provided USB computer cable. The PC software will allow you to select and configure different functions that will be added to your Volvo using the CFE unit. Once the CFE unit is connected to the car, the newly configured functions are all available in your Volvo!
- One CFE Hardware Unit
- Choice of one CANBus Connection Cable:
- OBD-2 Cable: Select this cable if you want the easiest installation. Connects to the OBD-2 port in driver's side footwell area. Installation of this cable takes about 5 minutes, but is only compatible with MY2005 and newer cars.
- AEM Cable (Accessories Electronic Module): Select this cable if you have an AEM unit in the trunk of your Volvo. Installation of this cable takes about 10 minutes.
- RTI/Navigation Cable: Select this cable if you have a DVD RTI/Navigation unit in your Volvo and there's no AEM cable found in your Volvo. Installation of this cable takes about 15 minutes.
- HU Cable (Radio Headunit): Select this cable if you have no AEM cable or RTI/Navigation unit in your Volvo. Installation of this cable takes about 30 minutes, and is the most difficult to install of the 4 cable options.
- One USB Computer Cable
CFE Kit Supported Functions
NOTE: Not all functions are currently supported for MY2005 (model year) and newer vehicles. Software updates are released frequently, and existing customers are informed via email when new updates are available. In addition, not all functions available for Volvo models up to MY2004 will become available for MY2005 and newer, and vice-versa.
|Function||Up to and including MY2004||MY2005 and up|
|Auto unlock all doors when driver door is opened||Yes||Yes|
|Retract electronic side-mirrors at car lock||Yes||Yes|
|Extend electronic side-mirrors at car unlock||Yes||Yes|
|Side-mirror angling when car is in reverse||Yes||Yes|
|Close sunroof at car lock||Yes||Yes|
|Open sunroof at car open||Yes||Yes|
|Switch parking heater on/off with car remote||Yes||Yes|
|Gauge sweep at ignition on||Yes||Yes|
|Mute radio volume when car is in reverse||Yes||Yes|
|DIM messages welcome / goodbye||Yes||Yes|
|DIM can be personalized||Yes||Yes|
|Windows automatically UP at car lock||Yes||Yes|
|Windows automatically DOWN at car unlock||Yes||Yes|
|Add extra wipe stroke with auto-wash windshield wiping function||Yes||NI|
|Auto indicator blink X times when handle used shortly||Yes|| |
|Enable daytime running lights||Yes||NI|
|Enable fog lights with hi-beam||Yes||NI|
|Extend approach (follow me home) lights with other lights||Yes||REVERSE LIGHTS ONLY|
|Auto activate seat heater at engine start||Yes||NI|
|Set cruise control to enabled after engine start||Yes||NI|
|Interval wiper function (for cars with rain-sensor)||Yes||SO|
WIP = Work in progress, meaning expect solution in coming releases.
NI = Not Implemented; not yet planned for research, and no work done on function so far, might or might not get functional
SO = Standard option, already available in your car
- MY2001 - MY2009 S60
- MY2000 - MY2006 S80
- MY2001 - MY2007 V70
- MY2001 - MY2007 XC70
- MY2003 - MY2007 XC90
VIN Check: You can also check vehicle compatibility HERE by entering your VIN
Troubleshooting and Support
Software Downloads (PDF):
- Download the CFE Configuration Software
- Download the Driver Installation Manual
- Download the Software User Manual
- Download the CFE Functions Manual
Hardware Installation Manuals (PDF):
- Download the AEM Cable Installation Manual
- Download the RTI/NAV Cable Installation Manual
- Download the HU Cable Installation Manual (not yet available)
- Download the OBD-2 Cable Installation Manual (not yet available)
Please utilize the manufacturer's Bug Reporting Tool for any identified issues.