StopTech's Big Brake Kits give your Volvo an exclusive look and feel while exceeding stock braking performance in two areas. First, larger rotors increase heat capacity and leverage. Second, stiffer calipers and stainless steel brake lines reduce system compliance. The key to improving performance however, is to increase heat capacity and reduce compliance without upsetting the factory front to rear brake torque bias/ratio. If the brake upgrade you select adds too much front torque, you reduce your car's ability to utilize the tractive capacity of all of the tires to the maximum practical extent (even if the car is equipped with ABS), creating braking performance sacrifices. In addition, too large pistons will make the brake pedal much more difficult to modulate, and will simply go to the floor.
Advantages of StopTech over other brake upgrades:
- Shorter Stopping Distances
- Better Brake Modulation
- Firmer Brake Pedal
- Reduced Brake Fade
Big Brake Kit Summary:
- Balanced Brake Upgrades with optimum brake bias offer the shortest stopping distance with the best pedal feel
- Patented AeroRotors provide the best airflow available, resulting in better cooling, less fade and longer rotor and pad life
- Super stiff forged aluminum brake calipers with a patented bridge results in better clamping under hard braking and less pad taper
StopTech Big Brake Kits feature their patented AeroRotors. Slotted or drilled rotors are available (drilled rotors are a $100/axle extra). Slotting assists with removing debris between the brake pad and rotor during braking, and also assists to increase the "bite" characteristics of the pad/rotor interface. Drilled rotors provide the same benefits, but are more susceptible to cracking under severe use and increase brake pad wear. As long as drilled rotors are only used for street and occasional light track use, they will work fine.
For more severe applications where elevated rotor temperatures are expected over a sustained period of time we recommend slotted rotors.
An anti-corrosion Gold Zinc Coating is available for the AeroRotors. The coating is strongly recommended for customers in colder climates, where snow and road salt are commonly encountered. The Gold Zinc COating is also preferred by customers who do not want to have visible surface rust on the rotor vanes and outer circumference. Gold Zinc Coating does not have a negative environmental
impact. Gold Zinc Coating costs $70/axle extra.
Calipers are available in the following colors:
Red and Black are standard colors. Silver is available with no extra charge, but have a 35-50 day lead time.
Blue, Gold and Yellow also have a 35-50 day lead time but are $200/axle extra.
A set of StopTech Street Performance pads is included with each Big Brake Kit (Part Nr: 309.06090), featuring a FMSI D372 pad shape. We can also order replacement brake pads with different pad compounds from Ferodo, Hawk and Porterfield Enterprises.
- Two (2) StopTech ST-40 4-Piston, Forged Calipers
- Two (2) 330x32mm 2-piece floating directional AeroRotors with aluminum center hats (pre-assembled)
- Stainless steel brake lines
- Machined aluminum caliper mounting brackets
- Street performance pads
- 1994 - 1997 850, Front Axle Only (5-lug, front axle only)
- 1998 - 2000 S70/V70 FWD/AWD (front axle only)
- 1998 - 2004 C70 (front axle only)
*Requires minimum of 17" wheels with the proper offset to clear the ST-40 brake calipers